Owl

Sunday 6 October 2013

Check that off my bucket list!!

OK so I finally get to check something pretty big off my bucket list.  Today I started - and more importantly finished - my first 5K race!  OMG...do you have any idea how long I've waited to actually put that in writing?!  Anyone who follows my on Facebook knows that I've run a few 5K distances at home, but to have completed a race is a whole new WOW in my book.

I didn't run it the fastest, but I also didn't cross last.  I got passed on the route by other runners, but passed a few of my own too.  I did discover that I'm not a huge fan of running in a big crowd, but I found a pocket where I could zone out and just kept putting one foot in front of the other.  As I rounded the corner to the finish line, I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry.  I think I did a bit of both.  As I got closer, I got to see all the amazing people there waiting to hug me when I crossed - including 2 of my running buddies who did an incredible job today and beat me to the finish.  I am pretty darn proud of us ladies.  Thank you to Sonia, Tina and Kelly for keeping me on track leading up to the 5K day.

And here is the really incredible part...we're talking about doing another 5K at the end of October and - wait for it - a 10K in the spring.  I created running monsters with my little "let's do a run" suggestion and I love it!

I also need to give a shout out to my hubby here.  He is my biggest cheerleader, and makes it ok when I say "I just have to go for a run".  Thank you my love...maybe you'll run the 10K with us in the spring!

To anyone who thinks they may want to try running - do it.  I never thought I would be able to run at all, but with a little determination, alot of sweat, a few tears, and some fantastic friends anything is possible.

Here is our pic after we all crossed the finish line...don't think our smiles could have been any bigger!


No comments:

Post a Comment